General Guidelines for Submission of Articles, News Items, Etc.
When submitting items to the Cortland News, please follow the guidelines below to make the editing easier, and to avoid problems when converting text from MS Word to InDesign, the graphics program.
1. Send articles and photos to email@example.com
2. Send as Microsoft Word attachments to your e-mail, if at all possible. If you use WordPerfect, save the document as either an Microsoft Word or as an RTF file before attaching. Please send your news release in a Microsoft Word document. Please do not send a flyer.
3. Keep formatting to a minimum. Do not use bullets or outline format.
4. Articles should be kept to less than 500 words whenever possible.
5. Attach pictures as Jpeg or PDF files. Do not embed pictures in the e-mail message or Word document.
6. Adhere to the deadlines whenever possible. If you can’t make the deadline, please notify the editor to make other arrangement. Please note the submission deadlines listed in the print and electronic versions of the newspaper, as well as this website.
The editor of the Cortland News reserves the right to reject any material deemed inappropriate. For purposes of clarity or comprehension, material may also be edited, revised, or summarized if necessary